Kenyan Man Charged With Murder of Fellow Kenyan in Australia

A 22-year-old Kenyan national is in custody in South Australia, charged with the murder of a fellow Kenyan, 24-year-old chef Caleb Leriano, in a case that began as a routine traffic report before unravelling into a homicide investigation and a cross-country manhunt.

From car crash to murder investigation

In the early hours of Wednesday, March 11, 2026, emergency services were called to Golflands View in Morphett Vale, a suburb south of Adelaide, after reports that a red BMW sedan had struck a Stobie pole — the steel-and-concrete power poles distinctive to South Australia. Leriano, the vehicle’s only occupant, was found with life-threatening injuries and pronounced dead at the scene.

The case was first logged as a single-vehicle traffic accident. That changed once forensic examiners found that Leriano’s injuries were not consistent with the impact of the crash itself. Detectives from South Australia Police’s Major Crime Investigation Branch and Homicide unit concluded he had been assaulted beforehand, and the matter was reclassified as a suspected murder.

The alleged sequence of events

Police allege the attack took place at a Morphett Vale address on the night of March 10, 2026, before Leriano got into his BMW and drove a short distance, crashing into the pole in the early hours of March 11. Investigators have pointed to Sapphire Road Reserve, near the scene, as connected to the events of that night, though the precise circumstances of what led to the assault have not been made public. Police have said they do not believe the attack was random.

To build the case, detectives drew on CCTV footage, dashcam recordings and mobile phone location data, and have said some of the digital communications under review require translation from Swahili. Investigators reportedly linked the suspect to the case through phone location pings, DNA recovered from the BMW, and CCTV footage that appeared to show him leaving the scene. Police have also searched properties and a local park, assisted by the State Emergency Service, in an effort to recover a suspected weapon, and have appealed for any CCTV or dashcam footage from the area between roughly 12:30am and 1:30am on the night in question.

A rapid, cross-country manhunt

Detectives allege the suspect flew out of South Australia and travelled roughly 1,000 kilometres to Perth, Western Australia, on the same day as the killing. Investigators identified him as Alan Kiplimo, a 22-year-old Kenyan national living in the Perth suburb of Brabham more than 2,700 kilometres from Adelaide by road, a distance Kenyan and Australian media alike have highlighted as underscoring the scale of the search.

Kiplimo was arrested by Western Australia Police homicide detectives on Friday, March 13, 2026, as he attempted to leave the state, in coordination with South Australia’s Major Crime Investigation Branch. He appeared before the Perth Magistrates Court the next day, where police successfully applied to extradite him to South Australia on an interstate warrant. Kiplimo did not seek bail and was flown to Adelaide under police escort.

Charged in Adelaide

On March 16, 2026, Kiplimo appeared before the Adelaide Magistrates Court, where he was formally charged with Leriano’s murder. He again did not apply for bail and has remained in custody since. Given the scope of the forensic work involved — including the translation of digital evidence the case was adjourned, with a status update expected in the Adelaide courts in September 2026.

Detective Inspector Andrew Macrae, speaking to Australian media after the arrest, said police were pleased to be able to share the development with Leriano’s family.

Remembering Caleb Leriano

Leriano moved to Australia in March 2025 after graduating from Kenya Utalii College, the country’s leading hospitality training institution, and worked in Adelaide as a chef, largely in the aged-care and disability support sector.

He was remembered by friends and family, some of whom knew him by the nickname “Munga,”as hardworking, compassionate and cheerful. The Kenyan Community in Victoria described the shock and grief felt across the diaspora at his death. His father, David Leriano, told Australian media that his heart was broken and that the family did not understand why the killing had happened. Leriano’s body was later repatriated to Kenya for burial.

A case that has shaken the diaspora

The killing has reverberated through Kenyan communities across Australia, the United States and Kenya itself, both because of the relatively small, tightly connected nature of that diaspora and because of the extraordinary manhunt that followed a pursuit spanning close to 3,000 kilometres of the Australian continent before Kiplimo’s arrest in Perth. For a community shaped in large part by shared ambition and mutual support far from home, the case has been a difficult reminder that such violence can occur within the community itself.

South Australia Police have continued to appeal for information as they prepare for the case’s return to court.

Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *